Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye Noughties, and Good Riddance

There's something about the end of the year that makes people all nostalgic. Like, life will never get any better than it was in 2009. Pity its over.

Its also the time of the year to pass judgment. From our wise old perches at the end of December we can decide what we liked and didn't like about the year, with all the wisdom of .. well I guess a one year old. Because of course it's not acquired wisdom, for after all this reflecting and soul searching the very next thing we do is go and drink ourselves into a stupor on New Years Eve, thus forgetting everything we learned and ensuring that we start the next year with a blank slate. It's a good system.

Well, as we're not yet quite at the stage where I down another piscola and let off  some illegal fireworks right here in the street, before falling into the gutter and ending up like this guy:

I'm going to give you some reflection and some judgment written here into internet eternity so that I'll have something to remember when I wake up from my piscola/pollo induced coma:

(WARNING: ANNUAL NYE INDUCED SELF-PITYING RANT FOLLOWS)

My judgment on 2009 is that it sucked. And, honestly, if 2010 doesn't pull its pants up and start to try harder something's going to crack. Which may or may not be my mental health or my relationship, or both. Sure, some 2009 things were awesome, like working on my first real job in TV. And getting engaged. And not breaking my spine when I fell into the bathtub that time (although the broken rib part definitely goes into the sucky category).But overall, 2009 has been akin to one long visa process, at the point where you've handed in your paperwork and you're just waiting for that magic approved stamp so you can just get on with your life. And you've been waiting so long that you're starting to wonder what the reasons were that you ever wanted the god damned visa in the first place.
That's been this year. And I'm pretty happy to say adios to it.

Oh, and it was the worst named decade in history. Noughties? Give me a break.

Ok someone gimme a piscola and slap me in the face. I'm ready for 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Good riddance to 2009. May 2010 be a whole helluva lot better for you!

    Here's a virtual slap... as for the piscola, it's 11 there so I am sure you are already schnockered... enjoy!!!

    I know I say this every time I comment, but your humor is well... hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annje - for both the compliment and the virtual slap!
    2010's better already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. F'ing cheers to that. 2009 sucked! It seems like everyone agrees on that one!! Meanwhile, 2010 is shaping up beautifully... hopefully for you too! At least it was my bathtub you fell into, it could'a been a lot worse.. we might have actually gone dancing like you wanted to that night, then we'd have probably broken our spines falling into the gutter! xxxxx happy ny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you know it's my birthday tradition.... someone always ends up getting hurt. But we were classy san diego!

    ReplyDelete